Dossier: Panopticon

001.1

The Madagascar Hall Series, 2005

001.2

Heathlands

Designing the grounds for the new football stadium at this location meant constructing a landscape. In an interplay with Fröttmaninger Berg and the windmill on its mount, the stadium leads to a prominent gate situation, whereas the landscaped parking lot and the roof esplanade of the multi-storey car park are interpreted as a part of the Munich gravel stratum. The city’s park does not serve as a model. Located at the edge of the city, the heathland habitat is derived from the adjacent landscape. Only the roads are reminiscent of classic English landscape parks. The form and scale of the development correspond to the site’s various functions, which range from managing large masses of people when the stadium is in operation to providing a local place of rest and relaxation at other times. The structural architecture and landscape architecture are interdependent. The architectural body will become a part of the cityscape and is a crossover between the natural and the artificial. In combination with the topographical staging, it refers to the external heathlands, which display the continuity of a cultured landscape rather than a natural one.

001.5

Cartography and the art of building relief maps

There is a long tradition of cartography and the art of building relief maps in Switzerland. Xaver Imfeld (1853–1909) and Eduard Imhof (1895–1986), two of the most important figures in this field, have both left significant works in this discipline. Imfeld was employed at the Eidgenössisches Topographisches Bureau and became a pioneer in the planning of mountain railways for tourists. Imhof was a professor for many years, as well as founder of the Institute of Cartography at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH); he remains an influential figure in Swiss mapping history. Imhof taught himself how to model plaster relief maps. His two most important mountain models, Bietschhorn and Windgälle, were created for the Swiss National Exhibition in 1939.